Friday, 3 April 2009

Unsaid Undone...

Well, it was the launch of Unsaid Undone last night, and a fine launch it was. I was a little late, shamefully. I ran onto the platform at Carnforth railway station, and under the subway onto the middle concourse to the Refreshment Rooms, where Laura met Alec in the film Brief Encounter and famously got grit in her eye.



There was a lovely crowd of people including my mum, dad, sister and Aunt, and a couple of writing friends (thanks all for coming along). There was wine and nibbles, and postcards of our writing on the tables, little samples from the anthology itself.


The readings were wonderful. Andrew Michael Hurley read from his short story The Kelpie, a wonderful story of a brother and sister confronted with issues from childhood, kelpies, harmonicas and Dr Jin's strange herbs. A most beautifully written story. Then, Marita Over read some poems and her short sotry Bread, she was a lovely reader, and her story has such a dark edge.

We had a little break for cups of tea and chatter, and then into the second half for a brilliant reading by Brindley Hallam Dennis. His piece in the anthology is an extract from a novel The Bath Scene, and he read us a couple of entertaining excerpts from his novel, that brought a few laughs, and I could see people in the audience nodding away and smiling in recognition. John Siddique couldn's make it, so Andy Darby who runs Lancaster Litfest read his piece Prism. As an aside, it was wonderful reading in a train station as every now and then a train would rush through the station, not stopping and we could feel the vibrations through the floor.

I read some of my short shorts. I have five pieces in the anthology, so I read three of them, and two extras. I enjoyed reading, as it was such a warm audience. I usually read such dark, depressing pieces, but I read one or two more funny pieces, which I was pleased brought a few laughs.


So, a wonderful evening, and a really stunning anthology. Unsaid Undone is now online, and I really recommend having a read. It can be downloaded from the Litfest / Flax Books website .



There are all kinds of treats on there, as well as the writing, there are audios of each of the writers reading a short little something. There is extensive biographies on each writer, photos, and the whole thing is gorgeously designed, really easy to download and navigate. Thanks to designer Martin Chester, and editor Sarah Hymas.

n.b. the photo of me reading and the photo of the lovely audience are pinched from the Flax blog, and were taken by photographer David Andrew.

7 comments:

The Dotterel said...

Sounds like a great evening!

Nik's Blog said...

Yay! Thrilled it went well - just wish I could have been there.

Nik

Megan said...

Congratulations Annie!
It sounds wonderful. I'm off to check out the website
x

Sarah Hymas said...

A member of the audience, who shall remain anonymous, came up to me afterwards to say how supremely talented they thought you were, and was looking forward to seeing where you went :)

Michelle said...

You've described the launch with such clarity I almost feel I was there. It sounds like much care and attention to detail has been put into the anthology. And you have five pieces in it. Great stuff, Annie. The pic of you reading is great. I'm intrigued by your description of Andrew Michael Hurley's short story: childhood, kelpies, harmonicas and Dr Jin's strange herbs!

Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds like a great event! Thanks for the link - I'll go and have a read!

annie clarkson said...

thanks all!

Sarah, how lovely... was it my mum?