Friday, 26 June 2009

The Rehearsal: A Review

Today, I'm pleased to see my review of Eleanor Catton's The Rehearsal online at Bookmunch.

Most of my recent reading has been short fiction, so I loved immersing myself in a novel, especially this one. It is so beautifully written, brooding with adolescent sexuality. Let me give you an snippet from the book:

'You will try and recreate that one kiss with all your loves, try and replay it over and over; it will sit like an old video loop on a television screen in front of you, and you will lean forward to touch the cool bulge of glass with your forehead and you will feel the ripple-fur of static with your fingers and your cheek and you will be illumined, lit up by the blue-black glow of it, the bursts of light, but in the end you will never really be about to touch it, this perfect memory, this one solitary moment of unknowing where you were simply innocent of who you were, of what you might become’.


If you have the time and inclination, you can read my review here. It's one of the hot hot books for 2009, and is published in July.

I've been more than a little absent from here... busy with work and reviews and working towards finishing things I should have finished long ago. But, good things are happening... and I will keep posting as and when I can...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love the cover!

I don't know where you find the time to write all these reviews. Kudos to you, Annie.