Tuesday, 12 January 2010

I like to write, I don't like to write...

In response to Sarah Salway and inspired by Nik Perring

I don’t like writing obvious. I don’t like writing protracted pieces of work, or stories with twists in the tail, or stories that are too clever, or lack emotional integrity. I don’t like writing fairy tales. I don’t like writing non-fiction. I don’t like writing about myself sometimes. I don’t like writing for an obvious market. I don’t like writing to sell or writing to a deadline or writing that means nothing to me. I don’t like writing that is too factual or full of research or too intellectual. I don’t like writing in verse anymore. I like to write stories, I love to write what are not quite stories and not quite poems, I love writing between the two, at the edges, I like writing substance. I like writing emotion. I like writing about things I don’t understand. I like writing about quirky people. I like writing about dysfunction. I like writing on my own when nobody else is around. I like writing knowing someone might read what I have written and think wow. I like writing things that someone else might connect with. I like writing for myself. I like writing things that are never seen by anyone else. I like writing true things that are written like fiction, and writing fiction as though it is true, and people not being able to tell the difference. I like writing for people I love. I like writing hidden messages. I like writing elusive stories. I like writing about the past. I like writing things that might challenge or provoke or shock, or make someone think about something in a very different way. I like writing things that mean something to me, that are the shoes on my feet or the bed that I sleep in.

5 comments:

green ink said...

"I like writing knowing someone might read what I have written and think wow."

That was me reading Winter Hands. :) x

Becky said...

This is a great post. Writing really is a wonderful pastime isn't it. I can't believe I only just ventured into it and kinda wish I had immersed myself into it's many possibilities sooner.
Still, I guess we are all on different journeys and take different routes...some of mine though seem to have been very convoluted !!
Take care Annie :-)

ANTHONY SIDES said...

I like this. Wow.
x

annie clarkson said...

Wow, thanks x

Michelle said...

Perfect.