Saturday, 30 April 2011

All quiet on the North-Western front?

I've been a bit quiet on here.

It's been for a number of reasons, but mainly because I've been preoccupied. I'm not even allowed to say why at the moment. But, it's not a good thing. It's an unsettling thing. It's been dominating my thoughts, and because I can't write about it, I haven't had much else to say.

But, I haven't disappeared. I have been out and about...

- Seeing this amazing lady play live at the Deaf Institute in Manchester...



- Reading poetry... at the launch of this very beautiful collection of poetry by my good friend and amazing poet Melissa Lee Houghton (available here)...


- escaping to North Wales for a little caravan holiday, exploring castles, beaches, bingo halls, and arcades


- digging and planting...


Actually, an awful lot of digging and planting. My allotment is 270 square yards, which is a massive space for one person to work on. So far, I have planted Charlotte and Isle of Jura potatoes (enough to feed the whole street), mangetout, beetroot, swedes, brussel sprouts, parsnips, radish, all kinds of lettuce and leaves, spinach, pak choi, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, aubergines, courgettes, squash, cabbage, tomatoes, leeks, marigolds, sunflowers, dahlias, sweetcorn, beans. I can't remember what else. That's quite a list, so it will do for now.

Some vegetables are growing outdoors, some are still seedlings in the greenhouse or at home. It's a very busy time of year at the allotment. It's the time when seeds are planted, seedlings nurtured and over the next few weeks everything will need to get planted out into the ground. Some of the digging is hard, because it's the new part of my allotment and hasn't been dug for a couple of years. There is muck still being spread. The weeds are getting ahead of me and it all takes far far longer than I imagine.

Today, I was there for hours planting out my mangetout, putting up canes to support them, tying the canes with twine for the peas to climb up, and then netting them to stop the birds from eating them before they get the chance to grow. Then I was sawing scaffold planks to build two more raised beds. Then I was digging over a space where I want to plant some things tomorrow. So, muscles are aching, skin is flush with sun and I am fit for nothing but sleep!

So, things are good, despite the worry that I can't talk about... some nice time with friends, romance blossoming, which is lovely actually, and this gorgeous warm weather is such a treat. I feel as if I come alive in the spring, a cliche, I know, but these light nights, the warmth, everything growing, it gives me a real boost.

3 comments:

Megan said...

blossom alongside your buds, Annie!
(hope you're ok)
m x

green ink said...

I hope whatever is worrying you is sorted out soon Annie - often a limbo situation is far worse than knowing something for sure. Thinking of you :) x

Espana said...

One of the more impressive blogs I’ve seen. Thanks so much for keeping the internet classy for a change. You’ve got style, class, bravado. I mean it. Please keep it up because without the internet is definitely lacking in intelligence.